We all have those days when we look in the mirror and say to ourselves, or in my case out loud, what happened to me! It could be because we don’t sleep as well anymore, it could be from depression due to a loss of hormones, or it could just be that we are getting older and everything tends to droop and fall. I know that I am right there with you, staring at my 50th Birthday coming up and feeling like the face I’m looking at isn’t my own. So here are some tips on how to look your best at midlife.
- Put a little makeup on. Even if it is just mascara. It won’t cover the dark circles but will brighten you up. A little goes a long way to making you feel better about yourself.
- Get dressed in your cute jeans, top and boots. Sometimes, just getting out of your sweats and into some real clothes makes all the difference in the world.
- Take a long walk or work out. I don’t mean a leisurely walk, but a brisk walk. Get your heart rate pumping. You will find that once you are out in the fresh air and exercising, you will feel better and more energized.
- Put your favorite CD on the stereo…loud. Something about hearing great music puts you in a better frame of mind. It gets the toes tapping and singing a few bars will cheer you up.
- Treat yourself to a massage, some acupuncture, yoga or meditation. Every once in a while, you need to treat yourself to things you love and rejuvenate your soul. Life doesn’t get easier just because you are in midlife, so keep yourself grounded, and it will show when you look in the mirror.
- Take a shower. Sounds silly, doesn’t it? Trust me; it’s not. Sometimes the hot water and steam can wash those blahs down the drain, and feeling clean will also make you feel renewed and refreshed for the day.
- Hydrate. Water is good for the body, good for the soul and good for the skin. Water can make your skin look dewy and fresh.
- Meet a friend for lunch and get some positive reinforcement. A warm hug and a smile from another adult will automatically infuse you with strength and well-being. It is a fact, that touch is vital to existence, and when that comes in the form of pure love from a friend, you will feel better instantly.
- Go out! What can make you feel younger than getting out there and having men check you out. If you go to the right bar for a drink, it can boost your midlife ego sky high.
- Make a wish list. Whether it’s for botox, fillers, or a good facial, if you write it down, you are more likely to do it. Taking care of yourself, mind body and soul is the best way to look in the mirror and fall in love with yourself again.
- Don’t look! Who says you need to look in the mirror and examine every line and wrinkle. You know what? You earned those lines. Celebrate them and enjoy them, because making it this far in life isn’t easy and you did it.
Being in midlife is a privilege. Love the face you see and realize that it’s not the outside that matters, but how you feel on the inside that counts. But, if you do the ten things we suggest look your best at midlife, you will!
What do you do to make yourself feel your best at midlife?